Notre Dame vs UH Keys

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
CoachKen
Insider
Insider

Notre Dame vs UH Keys

Post by CoachKen »

A quick overview of the game and its importance:

For the Irish, losing this game means a losing season and another nail in the coffin for head coach Charley Weiss so don't think for a minute this is not a critical game for Notre Dame. A win puts them in the positive for the year and breaks a dismal bowl record. The "Fighting Irish" will be fighting hard. Fortunately they are the home team and on the sunny side of the field! (yes, it will make a difference!)

The key to stopping Notre Dame will be two things. Stop the running game (which includes no big runs from scrmmage) and pressure on the QB. This team is the second most talented team we will play all season after Florida so don't let their record fool you! There are more high school All Americans on this team than you can imagine. Do they have speed? Yes! Do they have size? Yes! So why haven't they won more games? Tough question because it has nothing to do with talent. This is a mistake prone team and a "mess up at the wrong time" team which usually means there is a mentality on the team that probably expects something bad to happen. That being said for them to mess up early (fumble, penalities, interceptions) will be extremely important. If there offense scores often and early it will be tough for UH to come back.

I am looking for the kicking game to play a big part in this game. Don't ask me why but I think in large part it could determine the outcome if there is no runaway on either side.

For Hawaii's offense it comes down to one simple thing, protect the QB. With Pilares and Libre healthy at RB we should be more balanced. Expect the Irish to play a lot of "man free" coverage, (they have done it all year) and bring the house at times to sack our QB. To counter the man coverage and pressure we will have to play more three receiver to one side formations (trips), more bunch formations, quick throws and screens, but to the outside from the hard rushing ends, not middle screens.

Timed throws to Greg Salas and Greg and Malcom on square in patterns should be wide open if timed right with no delays by Alexander. Note on Alexander: He gets better all the time and I believe given the time to throw he will shine in this game.

Summary: I still say this is one of the toughest places to play if you are the visiting team. Let's pray for sunshine, heat and humidity to help melt the Irish. This could be a second half game. If we can hang tough for two quarters either with a lead or keeping it close, the second half could be all Hawaii. Notre Dame has the talent to inflict a lot of damage if they control the line of scrimmage, they are big! We have to wear them down. The run and shoot forces defensive linemen to run downfield on pass plays so I am not as worried about their defensive line but they concern me on offense. If they move the line of scrimmage on us we are in trouble. They have a height advantage but that could be to our advantage if we stay low and create leverage. Our strong linebacking corp could make a huge difference.

How important is this game to Hawaii? I think it is huge for several reasons:

1. To end the season with eight wins (could easily have been 11) would be awesome in a rebuilding year offensively.
2. A win over a historic program whom we have never beaten puts us on the map again.
3. The momentum this game would bring into next season cannot be underestimated.
4. RECRUITING: The attenion of the nation would be on the Warriors and this game could swing a lot of undecided athletes.
5. Coach Mack and staff have worked hard this year...what a great Christmas present for them and the seniors.

I am going with the Warriors out of loyalty, belief, Island Fever, and I think we want this more than they do!

GO WARRIORS!

CoachKen
Character, strength, and honor!

TI-KAPA
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Notre Dame vs UH Keys

Post by TI-KAPA »

Coach...first..thank you for sharing your insight all year long. Appreciate the time and energy. Second, Merry Christmas :D and Happy New year to you and your family maybe stay longer during your visit here...like a few months? Third, I hoping your right that our Warriors want it badder than ND. If the ha'a energy we've heard about displayed at the recent bowl dinner is an indication of how much the Warriors want to win this game...we will win. Go Warriors ! \:D/

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

is notre dame more talented than cincy?

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

good assessment.

When we win the turnover battle we win. So we need to take care of the ball.

Yes the sun will come into play.

There will be a lot of pride and emotion on both sides of the ball.

This will be a great game to watch.

Both teams need to use this game as a stepping stone for 2009.

Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

couz808 wrote:is notre dame more talented than cincy?
Notre Dame is more talented but not as good. Attitude, coaching and toughness is on the Cincy side. Cincy is definitely better than Notre Dame and Cincy is barely better than us which means we should win. Go Warriors!
www.southseascinema.org

Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

If we can put 4 quarters together like how we played the last drive of the 2nd qtr through the end of the 3rd qtr against Cincy, we will be fine. We need to not turn the ball over and if we get a big lead, we need to keep the foot on the gas pedal. I think the key to this game will be how our o-line blocks for Alexander. If they give him time, Hawaii will light up the scoreboard. I'm confident our defense will give Clausen fits!
We also need to be sound in the kicking game like Coach said. Winning the field position battle will be huge. Even if we don't score a lot of pts, if we can keep ND pinned inside their 20 yd line for most of the game, that will just pump our defense up that much more and maybe that side of the ball can get us a score. Hopefully we can break some big KR's to help our offense out. We also need to do better at PR. I would love to see Mouton or Pilares get a shot back there.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

I think it all comes down to the battle in the trenches ... who controls the line-of-scrimmage.

Especially, when our Warriors are on offense. Can we protect Alexander?

I like how our defense matches up.

AlwaysUHinTX
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by AlwaysUHinTX »

I'll put four fingers up in the air, because this game will be decided on all 4 quarters... close, and the scrimmage line is where it all starts.
uhwarrior23 wrote:If we can put 4 quarters together like how we played the last drive of the 2nd qtr through the end of the 3rd qtr against Cincy, we will be fine. We need to not turn the ball over and if we get a big lead, we need to keep the foot on the gas pedal. I think the key to this game will be how our o-line blocks for Alexander. If they give him time, Hawaii will light up the scoreboard. I'm confident our defense will give Clausen fits!
We also need to be sound in the kicking game like Coach said. Winning the field position battle will be huge. Even if we don't score a lot of pts, if we can keep ND pinned inside their 20 yd line for most of the game, that will just pump our defense up that much more and maybe that side of the ball can get us a score. Hopefully we can break some big KR's to help our offense out. We also need to do better at PR. I would love to see Mouton or Pilares get a shot back there.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Ok, I know a few of you blasted and mocked me for this earlier in the year :P , but:

I'll bet Notre Dame watches alot of Georgia vs Hawaii tape DEFENSIVELY. Line the DEs up further out, crash um hard, have one watching for shovel passes and inside screens. Thankfully, I'm sure Mac & Co will be prepared.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

hawaiiboy
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hawaiiboy »

Edit:nevermind

Good preview.
Notre Dame
Cleveland Browns
Chicago Cubs
Go Warriors!

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Can't give up the big play. No stupid penalties. NO "over rated" please. ND is a very under rated team. They have so much talent. It is just a matter of time before they put together a complete game. I hope it won't be tomorrow.

ST said Pilares and Libre are good to go so I expect UH to be able to run the ball better than they did against Cincy. I hope they use ball control and try to keep the ball away from NDs huge oline early on in the game. I want the D to be fresh in the 4th quarter.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

ive said it all year and im gonna say it again. the game will come down to our left and right tackle. obviously im taking for granted that everyone one else on the team plays at least thier normal game.

if our takles get beat and our line becomes a sieve then UH loses, if our tackles have a good game. UH wins going away. I don't mean to be unfair, but i think this is where we win or lose the game.

auloa
Starter
Starter

Post by auloa »

ive said it all year and im gonna say it again. the game will come down to our left and right tackle. obviously im taking for granted that everyone one else on the team plays at least thier normal game.
I agree.
Keep GA's feet steady, and we should be okay.
Good Luck guys.

AlwaysUHinTX
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by AlwaysUHinTX »

Looks like the interior line, too. Good assessment after watching our team get embarrassed again on national TV.
tangomike wrote:ive said it all year and im gonna say it again. the game will come down to our left and right tackle. obviously im taking for granted that everyone one else on the team plays at least thier normal game.

if our takles get beat and our line becomes a sieve then UH loses, if our tackles have a good game. UH wins going away. I don't mean to be unfair, but i think this is where we win or lose the game.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

Coach Ken,

Great assessment, mahalo for your viewpoint. . . what do you think about utilizing a big, quick, strong tight end that could help give UH's QB more protection and time and then sneak out for a short pass on a quick route as another option to the shovel pass, which every one expects from us?