Practice Report - Morning 8-17-09

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Practice Report - Morning 8-17-09

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

Missed the first ten minutes, wanted to watch the defense today, so first stop the D-line. As you pro UH fans know to walk across to the grassy viewing hill one needs to skirt the D-line drills on the edge of the Eva end zone. Of the many times I have done this, today I felt a little intimidated. The D-lineman seems bigger and meaner, like being in the wrong alley in the wrong town at the wrong time. Although there was a lot of camaraderie among them there seemed to be a single purpose – kill our opponents. Competition was high and so was the testosterone. I wanted to move on and I miss checking out how Earvin Sione and Paipai were doing in their new roles but it was hard to find them in the big bodies of green. To be honest, even though there was a 12 foot chain link fence between us, I think I was a little scared and moved on. Well although not a detailed report (sorry guys) I was starting to feel good about our unproven D.

Moved on to coach Miano and the cornerbacks. Wasn’t Rich a great safety not a cornerback? Anyway I was impressed by his details in proper technique. This group was very solid, young and JV transferred. All seems eager to learn and tried to do things right. But what really impressed me was that whatever they did something it was ALL OUT. Same as the safeties with coach Tormey. But again, although looking good - unproven in game situations. I know this is Coach Mack’s thing, to go all out all the time even running between drill stations. And nobody bends over to get their breath- “Stand Up! No Body slacks! Remember you’re a Warrior!” Mack yells. Like in a game one should run to the huddle, run on and off the bench and run to get set for the play.

The Linebackers are beasts and are proven so I didn’t worry nor check them out in drills and their play was proven in 7 on 7 and on 11 on 11 scrimmages. Both Mana and Jake look good and hard to chose between them and Brashton. The Warriors can reload in middle line backer position without missing much of a beat.

Noticed lots of injured players not suited up (none serious but Brashton), two OTs Kia and Thomas. Letuli got hurt in red zone scrimmage (don’t know to what extent but he did run the lines although coming in last but he finished). With 3 OTs out Leonard, Hansen and LaCount played with the 1st team. They are big and mean. I like that. We can reload here also. Missed checking out true freshman Winchester-Makainai on O-line drills. I am high on him but he isn’t on the 1st two teams.

In general I’m impressed with the young new comers, Safeties Alo, Tonga and Wadsworth, WR Stutzman, QB Shutter, LS Ingram as well as newbees Alex Green, Aaron Brown, Cory Daniels and Kainoa LaCount. All among other newbees from the summer and spring they seemed to fit right in and are accepted by the team in general which I feel GREATLY helps with their output and contribution to the effort.
Green looked great, very tough and broke for some big ones. He keeps the legs chopping, good basics that will take him far. LWJ and Chizzy did not carry the ball much – this morning anyway but when LWJ (who looks more solid) did get the ball once on a Tampa left and the D contained well – it looked like a solid wall of green and a sure tackle for a lost but Leon saw a tiny whole in the wall and like a flash he went though it for a big 30 or 40 yard gain. I never have seen that kind of speed on that grassy field before.

The D in general has improved (like I’ve been hearing lately) and are trained to be mean (like the UH D of old) For example after a great throw and catch with very tight coverage, the Cornerback (and I forget who) as he was flying by, in the last nano second grabbed the WR by the back of his jersey and his momentum of his flying body, it jerked the receiver so hard, he dropped the ball. Now that is good effort that I hope to see by our new D in game time. Good luck Warriors!
www.southseascinema.org

Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Re: Practice Report - Morning 8-17-09

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Awesome! Thanks for the report! :wink:

jr97124
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by jr97124 »

Thanks Kahaluu. :hello1:

AllsportfanHI
Starter
Starter

Post by AllsportfanHI »

Thanks Kahaluu.
Stuff like this is getting my juices up.

Makai TailG8TAZ
Starter
Starter

Post by Makai TailG8TAZ »

I too was there today and yes the defense is fast and they play with intensity. They are defenately not as porouse as they were in the spring game. Like you stated, Coaches Tormey and Miano doing a great job with the guys. Brown is a monster period!!! 1 on 1's by the linemen was tough, and it carried into the 11 on 11's. Plenty of hard work paying off and showing BIG TIME. Pulling guards and running backs tight coverage in the secondary...all so very exciting and can't wait to see what it translates to in real game situations. That was a great run by LWJ and he has been running with more purpose it seems...but so far I think the guy to watch out for just might be Green. As you stated he keeps them legs pumping and it don't matter inside or out he's showing his stuff. Hardest part about practice was watching the return guys try to field Punts. AD got them working hard to catch them punts.

EXCITED!!!

allshownogo
Starter
Starter
NBA: Pistons, Nuggets
NFL: Broncos, Lions

Post by allshownogo »

Great stuff. I like all the updates, lil hard to follow from kauai but I will be watching on the 4th. Can't wait til kick off!!!

GO HAWAII
"We just need 11 guys to run like a mother to football and hit somebody"

XKamaaina
Starter
Starter

Post by XKamaaina »

Thanks for the reports, keep 'um coming. Love to hear about the intensity, I don't recall that adjective used to describe the Warriors this time last year.

I'm happy to hear good news about LWJ too. I always felt he showed flashes, but was only lacking in confidence. If he truely has found this confidence for every play, things are looking up for the offense.

kepaniamekolea
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by kepaniamekolea »

Mahalo Nui Loa for the great reports!!! Dang it! Sept. 4th can't come soon enough!