Spring Practice Wed April 21

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Spring Practice Wed April 21

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

In general - lots of good stuff, defense looked good and fast in the 1st half, while the offense looked off in the 1st half of practice but they looked surprisingly good the second half. Lots of good individual effort and good team camaraderie. I think 3/4s into summer practice both teams will look good the whole practice which means we will be game ready. We should play USC tough and it will be a good game. Like I told my USC booster friend we don't have big standouts just a lot of good players ready to play anyone. That’s all you can ask for. I also told him that actually we do have standout players but they are slots and WRs so without a standout QB yet (more later) that renders our slots and WRs mute. They can be smart, fast and able but if the QB can't get them the ball consistently and accurately, well...

Some of the new guys looked great especially Darius Bright. Him and Bradley at the wideouts- wow. He is big, fast, with good hands but regulars looked good also like Avery, Tinoco, Henry, Jasper and Pollard. They look tougher and all play tougher than last year. One can see that in the team in general. The more hitting helps and new strength coach. But more importantly, position guys where coming out early and working with their coaches BEFORE practice started. A great sign of team effort. This WILL show in games. More on offensive: I was not thrilled with Austin BUT I was happy with Graves and Shutter. Both are ahead of schedule for RS Freshmen. No one is perfect yet but of course I watched Colt for three years-a high standard to match. RB again no standouts but lot of good efforts. I like the line BIG not perfect but they are getting better. With Letuli back most of us will like Hansen to go back to center and then we will have a solid and giant line who are improving in every reps they get in practice. But Lefiti is a very tough player who plays bigger than what he is and is a good shot-gun snapper.

The D is hungry and hustles. Some big hits out there. Impressed by our Tackles, Tuipulotu, Meatoga, Correa and Hanohano. The last two are great examples of this improvement this year. Call it hunger or maturity or both but what was two quiet freshmen last year are now manly beasts. Our two experienced safeties are even better this year. Last year I didn’t think they were starting material. This year most definitely, the playing experienced helped and it shows. Only glaring question mark on D, the Defense ends. Paipai was not in pads and there are some young ones in the wings.

P.S. like new field coach Tony Tuioti and his efforts show in his players (DTs).
www.southseascinema.org

Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Spring Practice Wed April 21

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Thanks for the report. Well done.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Thanks for the report!

Go David!

KITSAPHAW'N
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
NBA: Da Blazers
NFL: Da one wit the most POLY

Post by KITSAPHAW'N »

Kahaluu Imua Warriors mahalo Big Time!!, Us Haw'ns away from home read this board religiously as is the closest thing for us keeping up on UH. I would love to be there at practices and see for my self but for now da poi dog is a guide dog! Tanks Ahh!

al
All-conference
All-conference

Post by al »

mahalo for the report.

curious to know how miah ostrowski is doing?

XKamaaina
Starter
Starter

Post by XKamaaina »

Mahalo for the report! I too, am curious over Ostrowski's progress. We never hear how he's doing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Graves' can do. A lot of people watching practice have been impressed with him, it's always a good sign when a pattern of common praise develops. :hello1:

westsidewarrior
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by westsidewarrior »

Kahaluu Imua Warriors wrote:In general - lots of good stuff, defense looked good and fast in the 1st half, while the offense looked off in the 1st half of practice but they looked surprisingly good the second half. Lots of good individual effort and good team camaraderie. I think 3/4s into summer practice both teams will look good the whole practice which means we will be game ready. We should play USC tough and it will be a good game. Like I told my USC booster friend we don't have big standouts just a lot of good players ready to play anyone. That’s all you can ask for. I also told him that actually we do have standout players but they are slots and WRs so without a standout QB yet (more later) that renders our slots and WRs mute. They can be smart, fast and able but if the QB can't get them the ball consistently and accurately, well...

Some of the new guys looked great especially Darius Bright. Him and Bradley at the wideouts- wow. He is big, fast, with good hands but regulars looked good also like Avery, Tinoco, Henry, Jasper and Pollard. They look tougher and all play tougher than last year. One can see that in the team in general. The more hitting helps and new strength coach. But more importantly, position guys where coming out early and working with their coaches BEFORE practice started. A great sign of team effort. This WILL show in games. More on offensive: I was not thrilled with Austin BUT I was happy with Graves and Shutter. Both are ahead of schedule for RS Freshmen. No one is perfect yet but of course I watched Colt for three years-a high standard to match. RB again no standouts but lot of good efforts. I like the line BIG not perfect but they are getting better. With Letuli back most of us will like Hansen to go back to center and then we will have a solid and giant line who are improving in every reps they get in practice. But Lefiti is a very tough player who plays bigger than what he is and is a good shot-gun snapper.

The D is hungry and hustles. Some big hits out there. Impressed by our Tackles, Tuipulotu, Meatoga, Correa and Hanohano. The last two are great examples of this improvement this year. Call it hunger or maturity or both but what was two quiet freshmen last year are now manly beasts. Our two experienced safeties are even better this year. Last year I didn’t think they were starting material. This year most definitely, the playing experienced helped and it shows. Only glaring question mark on D, the Defense ends. Paipai was not in pads and there are some young ones in the wings.

P.S. like new field coach Tony Tuioti and his efforts show in his players (DTs).
Was also at practice and agree with your observations. Also noticed that Coach Shaw was really coaching up the O line. Was the first time I saw the kickers doing some work on their own during practice. I don't know if they put in extra work on their own before or after, but I think Coach Mack needs to get them kicking more during practice considering the kicking game can easily be the difference between a W and L.

Agree with you on the QBs. Shutter looked good on Wed. A great throw to Ryan Henry for a TD and also a nice seam to Henry. Would like to see what he can do with the 1's.

Ostrowski looked like he was walking with weights with other guys. Must be injured.

allshownogo
Starter
Starter
NBA: Pistons, Nuggets
NFL: Broncos, Lions

Post by allshownogo »

was curious if Sopolu has been practicing with the team. He was projected to compete for the center spot. Just wondering because haven't heard much news.
"We just need 11 guys to run like a mother to football and hit somebody"

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

allshownogo wrote:was curious if Sopolu has been practicing with the team. He was projected to compete for the center spot. Just wondering because haven't heard much news.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35767
kapakahi wrote:
Grinch wrote:Grinch wrote:
So how would the Oline line-up if the season started today? Letuli at one tackle . . .

BleedGreen808 wrote:
LT--Austin Hansen
LG--Brett Leonard
C--Matagasila Lefiti
RG--Adrian Thomas
RT--Laupepa Letuli

This has the potential to be a solid oline. IF Sapolu and LaCount don't break into the "ones" . . . they'd be great backups.
From my practice observations.....Sapolu still running with 3rd team behind Bronson Tiwanak...who is giving Lefiti pretty stiff competition. Meanwhile, Chauncy Winchester-Makainai (currently playing 2nd team LT behind Hansen) likely to eventually join mix for back-up LG with Andrew Faaumu, while former starter "Bulla" Ginlack giving Aussie stiff competition for the "ones".

allshownogo
Starter
Starter
NBA: Pistons, Nuggets
NFL: Broncos, Lions

Post by allshownogo »

thanks

don't know how I missed that one.
"We just need 11 guys to run like a mother to football and hit somebody"

MakakiloWarrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MakakiloWarrior »

Kahaluu Imua Warriors wrote:In general - lots of good stuff, defense looked good and fast in the 1st half, while the offense looked off in the 1st half of practice but they looked surprisingly good the second half. Lots of good individual effort and good team camaraderie. I think 3/4s into summer practice both teams will look good the whole practice which means we will be game ready. We should play USC tough and it will be a good game. Like I told my USC booster friend we don't have big standouts just a lot of good players ready to play anyone. That’s all you can ask for. I also told him that actually we do have standout players but they are slots and WRs so without a standout QB yet (more later) that renders our slots and WRs mute. They can be smart, fast and able but if the QB can't get them the ball consistently and accurately, well...

mahalo for the awesome report.....transition time for DL from last year. look for the tackles to be more lively and EXPECTED to make plays.....speed kills. DE's need some help, hopefully it will work out over the summer. Everyone is hustling more, and that is a breath of fresh air....I like Mahoe also, he's a fireplug, and does pretty well on his assignments :)

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I don't think Sapolu is quite ready. The center has a big job and I read an article where the coacehs just want him to focus on learning the coverages and O play calling. He has the tools but he needs to learn our system.

Does anyone know if he has a redshirt year?