Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NFL: Dallas

Saturday's Warrior Practice

Post by NelsonO »

Some impressions on Saturday’s Warrior practice:

I forgot to bring my roster with me to practice, so apologies in advance if I misidentify anybody.

The QBs may be getting equal reps. But today Bryant Moniz was getting the reps with the first team, so consider him the frontrunner. Nothing against Moniz but I’m pulling for Brent Rausch. I’m hoping he pulls a Rolovich (think 2001 season) and comes up big for his senior season. However judging from the order on how the QBs were taking the reps, Rausch right now is down in the depth chart.

Kevin Spain may be injured, but he was helping out on the scout team (as a safety). Cayman Shutter also worked out with the scout team (as a QB).

Coach Lee is helping out with the defensive line, specifically the defensive ends. Coach Aranda oversaw the linebacker drills.

No big surprises with the guys lining up as the first team. Cornerback Kawika Ornellas filled in for the injured Lametrius Davis. Today, right wide out Billy Ray Stuzmann was taking reps with the first team. Kamalu Umu was the first defensive right end.

During the special teams session, John Hardy-Tuliau blocked a field goal. But after today I don’t think Hardy-Tuliau will be the recipient of soft elbows as he comes around the corner.

And I still have not seen a Warrior offensive linemen in a three point stance.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Re: Saturday's Warrior Practice

Post by bigislandkurt »

Mahalo Nelson O. I know the season is here now. haaaa. Nelson O arrives.

I always appreciate your observations.

Any take on the oline?

BIK
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

westsidewarrior
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by westsidewarrior »

+1 on Rausch. I'm not out to any of the fall practices yet but was at most of spring practices and it seemed that no matter how well Rausch (and Shutter for that matter) did stats TDs etc., they didn't get many or any reps with the 1st team receivers which this year is a huge deal in terms of RnS experience. I think Mack has his own idea of what QB he thinks he wants in there and is doin his best to make it work out that way which is scary given that he's a D guy and knows nothin about the RnS.

IMO Rausch outperformed all QBs in spring ball and that was without the first team receivers most of the time?????? I hope Mack stays out of this and lets Rolo deal with the QB talent.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Thanks NelsonO - always look forward 2 your reports.
The Oline looks BIGGER than past years on paper . . .
Wonder if we'll see Aaron Brown, Paipai, and Siaki Craven on the field at the same time?
AND, howz George Daily-Lyles (sp?) looking at middle LB? Been looking forward to seeing him out there since we signed him.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

HK
All-conference
All-conference

Post by HK »

This is just a pure hunch, but I think George Daily-Lyles is going to be another Solomon Elimimian.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Yes sirrrrrr. Keoki D. Lyles runnin' with da ones.

BIK
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

isleboy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by isleboy »

Brent Rausch has a problem with short passes....he throws a good long ball but his intermediate
routes are not accurate.....another problem is he has difficulty reading defenses.....he gets confused and throws into coverage too much.....Brent did not play 11 man football until Hawaii recruited him two years ago.....he had hand injury problems last year....and this really set him back.....he is 3rd on the depth chart right now.....

Bryant Moniz is the best QB on the current roster.....yesterday he looked sharp....midseason form....

Noticed something yesterday....no more quick change run sprints during practice.....that GM idea did not work....no more running hills by Linebackers.....Aranda has LB's hitting the sled after practice.....Cal Lee coaching DE's now.....they dont run after practice.....

Lots of changes....

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

isleboy wrote:Brent Rausch has a problem with short passes....he throws a good long ball but his intermediate
routes are not accurate.....another problem is he has difficulty reading defenses.....he gets confused and throws into coverage too much.....Brent did not play 11 man football until Hawaii recruited him two years ago.....he had hand injury problems last year....and this really set him back.....he is 3rd on the depth chart right now.....

Bryant Moniz is the best QB on the current roster.....yesterday he looked sharp....midseason form....

Noticed something yesterday....no more quick change run sprints during practice.....that GM idea did not work....no more running hills by Linebackers.....Aranda has LB's hitting the sled after practice.....Cal Lee coaching DE's now.....they dont run after practice.....

Lots of changes....
Interesting insights.
Keep the observations coming.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

isleboy wrote:Brent Rausch has a problem with short passes....he throws a good long ball but his intermediate

Lots of changes....
Thanks for your report. Hope they will be in top shape. Still wish they did some type of running test before camp but the 220s did cause injuries eg Pearman.
ImageImage

bungahead
All-conference
All-conference

Post by bungahead »

Irse wrote:

Lots of changes....
Thanks for your report. Hope they will be in top shape. Still wish they did some type of running test before camp but the 220s did cause injuries eg Pearman.

Wasn't the informal practice turnout pretty high???

If the players largely came in "in shape", then maybe after practice conditioning isn't as big a priority.

On the other hand, UH's 2007 pre-season was marked by some pretty grueling conditioning, including hills for the O-line.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

SundayJam wrote:

Lots of changes....
Interesting insights.
Keep the observations coming.
I haven't seen Rausch throw this year but I remember watching him practice with some of the receivers before a game last year. His throws to the receivers streaking on the sideline were low and to the inside hip. I thought back then that if he made those passes in a game a good corner would pick him off for six.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Gotta see Brent in a game to truly judge him. I've seen way to many "practice players" come through UH to write him off. Guys like Aaron Bain and Michael Washington were notorious for looking good practice but horrid in games.

Brent may not be ready to throw the ball for UH, and may never be ready. But unless we give him a shot, we'll never know. The guy could be a gamer for all we know.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

J-Rod wrote:Gotta see Brent in a game to truly judge him. I've seen way to many "practice players" come through UH to write him off. Guys like Aaron Bain and Michael Washington were notorious for looking good practice but horrid in games.

Brent may not be ready to throw the ball for UH, and may never be ready. But unless we give him a shot, we'll never know. The guy could be a gamer for all we know.
Aaron Bain (2005-008) was a walk-on receiver who never had a chance to see much playing time, except for his senior year (2008). During Aaron’s time, UH was loaded with outstanding receivers, i.e. Bess, Grice-Mullen, Hawthorne, Rivers, Lane, Ian Sample, etc. And during JJ’s tenure the front line receivers rarely came off the field, except for an injury or a breather. If Bain was playing this year, he would be pushing for playing time.

Michael Washington (2005-2008) had the speed but lack the size and that “something extra” that a Bess or Grice-Mullen had—he was a disappointment if compared to the above mentioned receivers.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Lots of changes....

A more unbiased accurate report except for one other QB not mentioned. Shane Austin. What did you see in him at that practice. Moniz is going to be the leader unless he messes it up. Then he will have his third season next year. This will be coming out year and next year he will solidify why he is so good. Completions, completions, completions.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

I mostly paid attention to the newcomers at Saturday's practice...so here are my practice observations.

True frosh RBs John Lister (#34) and JC transfer Sterling Jackson (#27) both displayed flashes of speed in Saturday's drills that indicate that they could possibly join the RB rotation (with Green and Dimude) this season....if they learn and handle their blocking assignments. Good thing is they both still have a redshirt year to burn in case their services aren't needed this season. Meanwhile, true frosh RB Joey Iosefa (#30) looks to be the prototype power back....with tree-trunk calves. Let's just hope that Joey doesn't get any bigger....having already bulked up from 190 to 245 lbs over the past year.

BTW, Jackson sure is cut and has a major pair of guns on him. More built in the upper body than lower.

True frosh SB Allen Sampson (#5)...sure is a small target...but is also lighting quick. Meanwhile, true frosh WR Skye Ka'apuni (#83) and SB Donnie King Jr. (#86) are still adjusting to this offense, while SBs Corey Paclebar (#85) and DJ Armburst (#23) look more comfortable after getting reps back in Spring and JC transfer WR Terence Bell (#89) already looks pretty comfortable running his routes.

Another thing that I noticed is the impressive size of the new true frosh Olinemen. C Kody Afusia (#55) and RG David Lefotu (#77) are already both pretty thick....especially in the lower body....and also already sporting their fair share of tattoos. Meanwhile, LG Frank Loyd (#74) and RT Sean Shigematsu (#68) are both fairly tall but still lean. Also, true frosh LT Jordan Loeffler (#59) is already a legit. 6'5", 300 lbs.

JC transfer DE Siaki Craven (#54) looks like he'll be the designated backside speed rusher....quick and athletic.

Meanwhile, the true frosh Dlinemen....DT Moses Samia (#89), DE Desmond Dean (#20), DE Veni Manu (#91), DE Dustin Elisara (#58), and Beau Yap (#92)....looks like they're all adjusting nicely to D1A college ball. Although definitely the smallest DE out there, JMHO that Yap looks to be the most ready of the true frosh Dlinemen (not counting DE Marcus Malepeai). Both DEs Manu and Dean will definitely need to bulk up but definitely show athleticism and potential. Meanwhile, DE Elisara looks a little heavy....probably why he was moved from MLB. BTW, Marcus already looks physically ready size-wise to compete on the D1A college level. Haven't heard anything but returning DE Earvin Sione (#61) was not among the Dline participants at Saturday's practice.

The thing I noticed about true frosh LB TJ Taimatuia is his legit. 6'3" height...than his overall athleticism to go along with size. TJ along with fellow 'backers Paipai Falemalu (#42) and Aulola Tonga (#3) are virtual prototype LB clones at their legit 6'3" height and size (225 - 240 lbs).

True frosh CBs Dee Maggitt (#33) and Terry Wilson (#34) are undersized but look quick and fluid, while CB John Hardy-Tuliau (#35) has good height to go along with his quickness but is also real lean. Both Maggitt and Hardy-Tuliau look they might be good candidates for gunners on punt coverage, as well as edge rushers on field-goal attempts. Meanwhile, true FS Bubba Poueu-Luna (#36) looks comfortable playing defense instead of offense. JC transfer Darryl McBride (#39) looks the prototypical FS with good height, size and range.

Lastly, true frosh PK Tyler Hadden (#27) looks to be a pretty accurate kicker with good long distance range. Only problem might be that he tends to take a while on this approach and also kicks a fairly low ball....as compared against incumbent Scott Enos. That already looks to be tight competition between Hadden and Enos.