Pratice Comments 8-9-10

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Pratice Comments 8-9-10

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

First the big questions, where are Darius Bright, Earvin Sione, Aulola Tonga and Akoni Lasconia? Did I miss something in the local sports news? Can somebody catch me up with the news. I suspect with Bradley relatively healthy Bright will red-shirt. Don’t like the move because he is better than Pollard and the best players should play.

Now a report on who was there. First it is impossible to cover everyone fairly in one practice so I tried to focus on the newbies (freshmen, redshirt-freshmen and transfers). Checking these guys out is why I go early in the season to check out the practices. Four that stick out, three are transfers: Darryl Mc Bride (safety) – good size (6-2), fast, athletic has a good nose for the ball. He was on Bradley stride for stride on a bomb and he easily knocked the ball down using all his abilities I mentioned. Sterling Jackson (RB) – looked like a vet out there, strong runner with speed. T.J. Taimatuia (LB) here’s the kind of LB we need (like Paipai, who I’m glad is a LB again), great size (6-3 225), VERY athletic, and energetic, it even looked liked he was practicing on the 2nd team (not bad for a true freshmen with only one week of practice. Siaki Cravens here is another prototype LB we need like T.J. but for some reason they moved him the DE, the problem with that he is not as big as advertized (only 6-1 not 6-3) if he was that big I can kind of see the move but he’s not but he too is a good ballplayer, quick, eager and athletic. Perfect size for LB. Yes we all know coach Mac goes for speed over size, but why not speed with size. That is how we compete with the big boys like Norte Dame & Wisconsin. Sure with our size we can beat Navy but I getting tired of wasting great LBs for DE and ruining careers like Fonoti but lucky Cleveland recognized Veikune as a LB. Also want to say that the three transfrers could red shirt so they could learn the system and have TWO productive years as starters.

In general I was impressed with almost all our freshmen, the O linemen DB, D linemen and others got in there and battled like they were there for a while. Allen Sampson looks to be the fastest on the team. I wouldn’t be embarrassed to race him against Florida’s speedsters (wait but he’s from Florida too) What do they drink down there? John Hardy-Tuliau is the real deal with his quickness on kick blocking. Coach Mac seemed impatient with SP drills (like all HCs) but Mac our SP has sucked for a while now. Please give coach Tormey the time. It was great to see him drilling on the push from the line to block kicks and at the same time (with a pad) drilling the wides to go for broke and properly dive for a block. We needed this for a while. LOOK at Boise St., their SP have beat us more than once and when was the last time any UH fan has seen a blocked kick! Good to see some starters and young potential guys on STs not forth stringers and walkons. It is a more serious team now.

For the rest, the usual guys look even better than this time last year except for Bradley but he’ll get there. Salas, Pilares, & Green looked great and they all should have great seasons. My personal prediction is Paipai will have a breakout year. His size, attitude and energy WILL payoff for him. The Oline I think is progressing well. I like the size Coach Shaw puts in there (about time) then he works and works with them. QB is questionable but I will always say that because I witness to many practices with Colt. Finally I have always said the DEs are weak (until the newbies put on more size). I’m glad Paipai was moved back to LB but he is our best DE. Good news he will play DE on some defensive schemes and Alasi Toilolo is really catching on and getting better. We haven’t got a good rush for a while either but the DTs and LBs are capable to get in the back field but the DEs??? Lastly yes I’m a UH fan and there is probably some koolaid sipping here AND after all we are only practicing here, we all know it is GAME situation that counts.
Last edited by Kahaluu Imua Warriors on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.southseascinema.org

Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Pratice Comments 8-9-10

Post by kapakahi »

Kahaluu Imua Warriors wrote:First the big questions, where are Darius Bright, Earvin Sione, Aulola Tonga and Akoni Laconia? Did I miss something in the local sports news? Can somebody catch me up with the news. I suspect with Bradley relatively healthy Bright will red-shirt. Don’t like the move because he is better than Pollard and the best players should play.
WR Darius Bright practiced last Friday, but I don't remember seeing him at Saturday's practice. Meanwhile, Aulola Tonga (#3) practiced this past Friday and Saturday sessions with the linebackers.

Earvin Sione (#61) is MIA.

No sign of Akoni Lasconia either.

Others who are listed on UH's roster http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/document ... Roster.pdf
but are MIA from Fall Camp are:
#8 QB Corey Nielsen (but supposed to be checking in soon to replace injured true frosh QB Kevin Spain)
#23 LB Parker Paredes (but supposed to be checking in soon to replace injureed Alema Tachibana)
#38 LB Cory Daniel
#46 PK Kyle Niiro
#46 S Kawika Borden
#48 DL Josh Manupuna
#52 DE Michael Maracle
#64 OL Elmer Lim
#65 C Kaha'i Choy
#67 OG Tui'atua Tuiasosopo
#68 DL Ho'oikaika Cavaco-Amoy
#78 DE Kapono Rawlins-Crivello
#79 OL Casey Purdy
#93 DE Waylon Lolotai

Also no sighting of RB Lancer (Iosefa) Tuitele at Fall Camp thus far.
Last edited by kapakahi on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Akoni Lasconia isn't listed on the UH Roster, either. Credits must still be pending..

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

tsai mentioned that manupuna has some eligibility issues? i dont see how when hes been at UH for a year already.

i wonder if Tuiasasopo, Lolotai and Sione are being left off the 105-man roster and wont be coming back till school is in session? that would be pretty surprising.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

Corey Nielsen was there but had no helmet so his particiation was limited. Also I did not see the big Daniel twins there. I guess they will start when school starts. That's a shame.
www.southseascinema.org

The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Thanks to everyone, as always, for your first-hand observations.
A few things bothered me about KIW's observations:

1. It's unfair to blame John Fonoti's defensive alignment for his poor performance on draft day. He may have been done in by an injury his senior year...that's what I remember. Also, while his play was above average, (imho) it was no where near the level of an Ikaika Alama-Francis, Veikune, or Mouton. With so many 2nd round defensive draft picks from Hawaii the last 10 years, he should have gotten noticed.

2. Special team play, just like defense, was hamstrung by a lack of depth. Torres earned a scholarship as a walkon despite a limited physical package last year. We were running on empty.

The biggest problem last year was shooting blanks in the red zone. :read: With a weak, inexperienced defense and ST play, the result was the perfect storm....our opponents out-scored us like crazy while we just....well... :read:

Aloha.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

SundayJam wrote:A few things bothered me about KIW's observations:

1. It's unfair to blame John Fonoti's defensive alignment for his poor performance on draft day. He may have been done in by an injury his senior year...that's what I remember. Also, while his play was above average, (imho) it was no where near the level of an Ikaika Alama-Francis, Veikune, or Mouton. With so many 2nd round defensive draft picks from Hawaii the last 10 years, he should have gotten noticed.
Heard recently from some very reliable sources associated with last year's UH team that....it sure didn't help Fonoti on NFL Draft day....that UH's now former strength coach had been giving poor (but unwarranted) reports on John to all the NFL scouts he spoke to. The bad part was that Mel was always talking to the NFL scouts on road trips....while the UH coaching staff were too busy with game planning and coaching to bother with Mel.

While alot of past and current UH players like Mel as a person, there's no disputing that Tommy is definitely more knowledgeable and professional....without the drama....and has earned the respect and trust from the current UH players.

crackers
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by crackers »

"...I suspect with Bradley relatively healthy Bright will red-shirt. Don’t like the move because he is better than Pollard and the best players should play."

FYI: bright is NOT better than Pollard! Stuz 2 is, but not bright

unkosolz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by unkosolz »

crackers wrote:"...I suspect with Bradley relatively healthy Bright will red-shirt. Don’t like the move because he is better than Pollard and the best players should play."

Bright still needs to get up to speed with the offense. Redshirting would be beneficial for him.
E Pa`a Ka Mana`o I Ka Pono I `Oi A`e

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Fair Report KIW. Mahalo.
As for those MIA's, I suspect at least one or two of them must be facing academic issues. Simple law of averages.

BIK
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

kapakahi wrote: Heard recently from some very reliable sources associated with last year's UH team that....it sure didn't help Fonoti on NFL Draft day....that UH's now former strength coach had been giving poor (but unwarranted) reports on John to all the NFL scouts he spoke to. The bad part was that Mel was always talking to the NFL scouts on road trips....while the UH coaching staff were too busy with game planning and coaching to bother with Mel.

While a lot of past and current UH players like Mel as a person, there's no disputing that Tommy is definitely more knowledgeable and professional....without the drama....and has earned the respect and trust from the current UH players.
I like what I hear about Mr. Heffernan.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

crackers wrote:"...I suspect with Bradley relatively healthy Bright will red-shirt. Don’t like the move because he is better than Pollard and the best players should play."

Darius Bright is on the left with Bradley, Avery and Tinoco. So if Bradley is 100%, and Avery continues to improve, Bright, even with his God-given physical attributes, is presently a one-dimensional WR—run vertically at flank speed. Because of this, I think the coaches would rather RS him then waste a year.

Stutz and Pollard are runnning even on the right side.

Txbow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Txbow »

Wow...awesome report, thanks!

I have read on other reports that on the DL, Umu was showing a lot of potential??